5 Fire Safety Measures Every Home Should Take
A warm, crackling fire in a firepit might be lovely and comforting, but a raging housefire is devastating. According to FEMA statistics from recent statistical years, house fires account for over 72% of all fire deaths in the United States. Many of these deaths could have been avoided with proper fire safety education and fire prevention.
- Keep Fire extinguishers On Hand
You should always keep a class ABC fire extinguisher in your kitchen as well as your living room if you have a fireplace. Class A is for use on ordinary fires like wood or paper, class B is for oils and other non-metallic accelerants, and class C is for electrical equipment. Get a fire extinguisher from a licensed fire safety services NYC provider that covers all three classes. Never use water on an oil or electrical fire.
- Educate Children
Your child’s level of understanding when it comes to the consequences of playing with fire will vary with age, but you should start trying to teach them as early as possible. Let them know that they could hurt themselves playing with hot things like matches, lighters, or stovetop burners. Keep flammable things away from children as much as possible. Teach them what to do if a fire starts, how to get out safely, and how and when to use a fire extinguisher if they are old enough to use one correctly.
- Test your Outlets
One of the leading causes of house fires is electrical malfunction, so you should have your outlets, fixtures, and breakers inspected every few years and have any faulty wiring replaced as soon as possible. Avoid doing damage to your electrical work by not overloading your breakers and only running equipment at the recommended wattage.
- Check Your Smoke Detector
Your smoke detector should always have batteries and be in good working order. If a fire starts, your smoke detector will alert you to the danger before the fire has spread too far to escape. If you rent your home, your landlord is legally required to schedule regular inspection and maintenance on your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Use Caution With Extension Cables
Electricity must travel farther through longer chords, which means longer chords draw more power. This can overload your outlet and cause the chord to catch fire. Never plug a space heater, oven, industrial fan, or microwave into an extension cable.
Taking these measures will help reduce your risk of a house fire and keep your family safer.